Saturday, March 24, 2012

One of a Kind Chair for a One of Kind Guy

I've done all kinds of furniture refinishing over the years but their's been one person in my family that hasn't received anything from me- till now.  If you know Alex, you'll agree that he's a special kind of guy and it is only fitting that I find a unique piece of furniture to give him.

Last fall while making a purchase at Paul's Upholstery in downtown Bloomington, I spotted a fantastic men's office chair in their window - an old wooden office chair covered in cowhide leather.  It had a totally masculine feel to it and I knew then that I wanted to somehow recreate something similiar for Alex especially since he's always liked the feel of cow hide on his back side.



It wasn't one month later while rummaging around the back of the Old House Society, I came across that perfect chair - great working condition, but pretty worn out.  After inquirying about it they told me it was to be thrown out!  Woohoo - I grabbed it before they could change their minds.

This chair was made by the Milwaukee Chair Company who made all the chairs for the US House & Senate until 1940.  Their chairs were made to last and this one weighs a ton.  Although the outside fabric and padding were totally worn out, all the workings of the chair were in perfect order. 



I took the chair down to it's bones replacing the castors, sanding and staining the wood which appears to be black walnut.  I would not attempt to do the upholstery - that I left to Paul Sr at Paul's Upholstery.   He recommended that I look at Tandy Leather in Peoria for a cow hide.  I picked out a brown brindle hair-on-hide calf skin that had some random white patches and even a couple scars. 









I couldn't have been happier with the work that Paul Sr. did on this chair .He was true to the original features of the old chair, but the new leather and cow hide give it the wow factor.

Hope you like it Alex - can't wait to see you kicking back in it - cowboy boots and all.

1 comment:

  1. That is one of most unique chairs I have ever seen. You're talents are amazing. Alex is a very lucky guy.

    ReplyDelete