Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Tasting Germany

Just got home from a fabulous trip to visit family in Germany and also travels to Austria and Italy.  It was one of the most relaxing and thought provoking trips I've ever been on.  I plan on posting twice more about different aspects of the trip but for now the foods of Germany will be the star.


Pretzels everywhere the size of your head...or bigger.  Made fresh daily and are incredible.




This artfully arranged fruit and cheese platter was one of several plates my aunt had ready upon our arrival.




Thinly sliced smoked salmon, stuffed peppers and tomatoes along with filled cucumber cups.




A German Feast would not be complete without their "auf schnitts" which are their paper thin sliced cold cuts and salami.





 




The pastries were amazing - unlike anything we have in the States and every cafe has an wonderful assortment of croissants, tortes, pastries and strudels. 
I'll miss the beautifully set tables my aunt, uncles and cousins set for us every morning with all their dainty china along with fresh croissants and breads from the local bakery.  I'll miss the afternoon "Kafee & Kuchen" hour enjoying a fresh pastry and cofee while catching up on days happenings.  This unhurried and relaxed atmosphere is what I'll remember even more than the food itself.





No comments:

Post a Comment