Saturday, November 26, 2011

Falafel

Since trying falafel at The Rock in Uptown Normal, I've been wanting to make it for myself at home.  Falafel is a fried vegetable patty usually consisting of ground chickpeas, spices and parsley or cilantro.  It is a popular street food in the Middle East and usually served in a pita pocket or flatbread with cucumbers, tomatoes and a tahini sauce.

I used a basic recipe that was very simple.  You can mash the chickpeas by hand, but I put all ingredients in my food processor and it was mixed in less than a minute.  I formed the ground mixture into small patties and fried in a small amount of oil for just 3-5 minutes.

Tahini Sauce is the traditional accompaniment, but I served mine with a yogurt-cumin sauce. 


Naan bread is more Indian than Middle Eastern but any kind of flatbread or pocketbread works well to hold the patties.  These would also make great vegetarian burgers served on a bun.

Falafel

1 can chickpeas, drained
1/4 c. cilantro or parsley
1/4 c. finely diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t. cumin
1 t. red pepper flakes
1/2 t. baking powder
2 T. flour
salt & pepper

Combine all in food processor until well mixed.  Form into patties and fry in oil for 3-5 minutes until deep golden brown on both sides.  Drain on paper towel and serve with choice of sauce & condiments.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to attempt to make this again...homemade though. Yours looks so good! How much oil did you use?? YUM!

    ReplyDelete