Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Chocolate-Peppermint Thumbprints

Since I bake all year long, I usually don't make Christmas cookies and treats that alot of people enjoy this time of year.  Our family isn't that wild about Christmas cookies and would much rather eat a warm chocolate chip cookie or apple pie.  So when I received my Martha Stewart's Food magazine the other day, I figured there wouldn't be any recipes to entice me, but her take on the traditional thumbprint cookie looked so good that I had to give it a try.


 Super easy to make, I rolled out small balls of dough and dipped in sugar before baking.  After baking just a few minutes I made an indentation for filling, then baked another few minutes.  The best part of the cookie is the chocolate-peppermint filling that is piped into the "thumbprint."  Yummy - give it a try!

Martha's Chocolate-Pepperment Thumbprints

2 c. flour
2/3 c. cocoa powder
1/4 t. salt
1 1/4 c. butter - room temp
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1 T. vanilla
3/4 c. chocolate chips
1/2 t. peppermint extract

Whisk flour, cocoa and salt - set aside.  Beat1 cup of the butter and 1 cup of the sugar with mixer about 3 minutes.  Add egg and vanilla and gradually add dry ingredients until combined thoroughly.  Place 1/2 cup sugar in bowl.  Roll dough into 1 inch balls and dip in sugar.  Place on parchment lined baking sheets and bake at 350 for 5 minutes.  Remove and make small indentation with melon baller or teaspoon in center of cookie.  Return to oven and bake another 4 minutes - do not overbake.  Let cool.  Melt chocolate chips and 1/4 c. butter in microwave.  Stir in extract and transfer to a zip lock bag.  Snip end of bag and pipe small amount into cookie indentation.


1 comment: