Saturday, May 7, 2011

Very Berry Pie

I've finished my first school year of blogging and looking forward to new adventures.  Testing new recipes, learning new photo tricks and food styling are all on my to-do list. A week long cooking vacation in southern Italy will top off my summer and help jump start the fall semester.  I'm looking forward to taking my cooking in a new direction - simplier with more complex flavors using fresh ingredients.  I have stacks of recipes that await me and I'm thrilled to have the time to experiment, test and learn.  This recipe for Very Berry Pie is a combination of strawberries, raspberries, blueberries & blackberries with fresh lemon juice.  I made up the recipe as I went and it turned out to be one of the best pies I've ever made.  My main reason for making this pie was to do the cool cut-out on the crust.  I had seen a similar picture in a magazine and just copied it. This is just an example of the fun things I will be doing this summer. 



Very Berry Pie

Pie crust for 9 inch double crust pie
1 c. blackberries
1 1/2 c. blueberries
1 c. raspberries
2 c. strawberries
1 c. sugar
½ c. flour
1 T. lemon juice
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out bottom crust and fit in pan. Combine all berries with flour, sugar and lemon juice. Spoon filling into crust. With small sharp knife cut out letters from top crust. Gently roll crust onto top crust and flute edges. Bake 50 minutes until golden brown.






No comments:

Post a Comment