Saturday, October 22, 2011

Painted Writing Desk

I've been looking for some time for a small desk to help me keep better organized.  I've got files, notes and receipts scattered in several places and wanted a central place to bring everything together.  I found this desk at a neighbor's estate sale for $50 and nabbed it right away.  It had a loose leg, chipped veneer and a missing knob, but I could see alot of potential.


The decorative piece under the front was so badly chipped that it had to go.  I knocked that out easily with a hammer.  I glued the leg back in place, used alot of wood filler and went to town on the sanding.  When it was sanded smooth, I applied two thin coats of a white primer.  You can start to see the nice detailing on the drawers.




Initially I wanted to go with white for this but decided we needed more color in our home.  I picked out a bright green and applied two coats.  I love the color against the old hardware and it has changed the whole look of our living room.  Now I'm looking for a nice chair to pair this with.  Stay tuned for the next project.









No comments:

Post a Comment