Friday, February 24, 2012

Nailhead Chair

I've always wanted to try my hand at decorating something with nailheads.  There are tutorials everywhere on the net and countless examples of different projects to use them on.  Having never done any of this before I needed a fairly easy piece as my initial introduction in nailhead trim.  I came across this chair at our church's garage sale for $5.00 and decided that it could really use some pop.


 
  I originally wanted to refinish and stain the wood, but I changed my mind halfway through the project and went with white paint instead.  I found a nice yellow geometric print fabric that along with the white paint totally transformed the chair.

 You can tack on individual nails or buy nailhead strips as I did, where only a few nails are tacked in along the strip. The strip made the job fairly easy, but take my advice and buy a tack hammer to use in nailing down the tacks.  Using a hammer (or meat mallet as one site advised) leads to bent nails and an unsatisfactory job.





 

I'm not that happy with the outcome of this chair because of the uneveness of tacking and the geometric print is "off" in places, but I'll take it as a first try.  I'd like to try the individual nailheads next time and with proper tools and a little experience the outcome should be better.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know what you are talking about mom!!?? This chair looks amaazzzing! You are going to have to help me if I take on the wingbacks. Zach's grandpa gave me some upholstery tools... i might have a nail head hammer. :)

    ReplyDelete